From Bluewater Credit:
- Medical bills are the number one reason for bankruptcy in the United States, causing more than 60% of all BK’s. Approximately three-fourths of those who go BK because of medical bills have health insurance.
- An illness or hospital stay that requires intensive care can easily rack up medical bills over one million dollars.
- Every year, it’s estimated that hospitals overcharge Americans by about 10 billion dollars.
- Medical billing advocates estimate that over 90% of the medical bills thy audit have “gross overcharges.”
- 41% of working age Americans are currently paying off medical debt or have some sort of medical bill problems.
Read the whole article for 25 more statistics.
For more information on the issues surrounding medical debt, please contact RIP Medical Debt.